Saturday, February 13, 2010

Two Firsts August 4th, 2009


Disaster strikes and is averted
I am sitting in the lobby of Waukon Harley Davidson using their free wireless while they change my flat tire, which leads me to my two firsts:
1.) I drove across the Mississippi
2.) I picked up a nail on the bridge over the Mississippi and got a flat tire
I could tell something was wrong so maneuvered off the exit ramp to the little town of Marquette, Iowa to investigate.  It didn't take long to see the chunk of nail sticking out of the rubber.  I quick (i.e. 10 minuteson hold) call to roadside assistance and a wrecker was dispatched.  The driver was very professional and let me help him tie the bike down securely.  The insurance only covered the bike, but I threw him some cash to let me bring the trailer too to save me from 70 miles roundtrip back to Marquette to recover the trailer.  The bank manager who's parking lot I was stranded was very gracious and offered to let me keep it their as long as needed and called the sherrif to keep an eye on it for me during his rounds. 
On a happier note, Wisconsin was absolutely phenomenally gorgeous, and I got to travel some secondary roads and see some of the real American mid-west. 
Hopefully the bike will be ready soon and I'll be on my way to leRoy, Wisconsin tonight for my first campout.  Keep your fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment