Saturday, February 13, 2010

Recharged in Oregon August 29th, 2009


South-bound and down
Waiting for the morning drizzle to subside in Astoria, Oregon.  I Spent three nights in Seattle, although I got in at 2AM on the first night, so maybe it doesn't count.  I was hoping it would be a little more restfull, but it turns out there were a ton of people I people I wanted to visit while I was there and it turns out I was pretty busy.  I spent my first day bouncing around town running some errands and taking care of some personal business. I had promised a friend I would take a picture at Bruce and Brandon Lee's graves, so i did that.  I got a very minor trim at a barber shop, and went to the Filson store.  I spent the afternoon with my good friend Daunielle from Boston, and then drove down the sound to Tacoma where my Aunt and Uncle and cousins just relocated to.  I spent the night with them and had dinner and caught up for a while.  The next morning my Aunt and I went for a ride through Tacoma and she showed me some of the sights.  I spent that afternoon with my friend Jefferson from D.C. before heading back to Seattle.  I went out to dinner with my friend Lauren from Israel and her partner, and then slept at their house. 
I left the next morning for Portland, Oregon to run some errands.  I wanted to visit Langlitz Leather Company in Portland.  They make some of the best leather jackets available anywhere in the world.  They are custom fitted to each customer and then custom made to thei specifications.  After poking around the shop and factory and admiring their stuff (which I can't afford yet) I rode out to Scapoose, Oregon to visit the West Coast Shoe Company, or Wesco as they are sometimes known as.  They make some of the best work boots that can be bought (which I also can't afford).  You can order them custom made to your foot and pic out any number of design styles and features to make a one-of-a-kind boot.  My goal was to get measure so I could order some custom boots when I got the money,  While I was there they were also filming a short promotional DVD.  They had seen me pull in on the bike and asked if I were in a hurry, or wouldn't mind being in their movie.  When they found I had ridden from Virginia just to try on some boots they were really happy to have me in the video.  They waived the $100 sizing fee and lent me a pair of boots to wear or the photo shoot.  We then went out and I rode my bike around the parking lot and did some static poses as well.  It was pretty fun.  Then the CEO (The granddaughter of the founder) showed me around the factory floor a bit and I hit the road.  The video will be on the website in the next few months.  www.westcoastshoe.com
Next was off to Astoria, OR, where my good friend Mark is stationed.  My other good friend Jerod was going to meet me out here after getting out of the Coast Guard and doing some traveling of his own.  We spent two days just hanging out and laughing a lot.  It was definitely the most restful stopover I have had the entire trip.  It was great to see two good friends at the same time, and our other friend Brandy, (Adam's wife) was up visitng from San Diego so the four of us had a real nice time. 
Today I am off down the Pacific Coast Highway (101) to Southern Oregon.  Next stop California and the desert.  I am a little bit glad to be leaving the Northwest behind.  It has been gorgeous, but I am ready for a change in climate and in scenery.  Maybe after a few days of sweating in the Southwest I will regret this enthusiasm, but for now I am excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment