Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Great Divide August 11th, 2009


Greetings from Crested Butte, CO
Hello from Crested Butte, Colorado.  I left Denver yesterday morning and rode into the city to have brunch with my friend Farrell.  From there I hit the road to Crested Butte.  It was ony a 250 mile day, but got a bit of a late start from Denver, and the road was slow going at times.  I have to say, though, that it was definitely one of the best rides of the trip so far.  The roads were winding up and down mountains, and then had nice long fast straight-aways across valley floors.  I crossed the continental divide at Monarch Crest at an elevation of over 11,000 feet.  Took some hard riding in third and fourth gears getting up the one side, but then pretty much coasted down for the next 20 miles.  I picked up a hitchhiker in Gunnison, Colorado and dropped her off about ten miles out of town so she could jog back to her car.  Apparently she is getting ready for a marathon in September.  I finally got to Crested Butte and met up with my good friend Erica.  I didn't get in until about 7PM so I decided to deviate from my schedule for the first time and am spending another night here.  We just finished making breakfast, and next we are going to hike up to a lake and go swimming.  I couldn't pass that up.  Also, I am taking the opportunity to wash some clothes.  I'll upload a couple of pictures, so check the galleries too.    

No comments:

Post a Comment