Saturday, February 13, 2010

Dirt Roads and Dust August 13th, 2009


Meeker, CO to Lander, WY
I arrived in Meeker with no other guidance than to ride through Irish Canyon on my way to Lander.  It turned out to be right on the way, and may have even been more direct than the mapquest direcitons I had.  It took some mapping and planning to get the route right, and the gentleman at the chamber of commerce got me off on the right foot.  So why didn't mapquest send me that way?  40 miles of dirt road is my best guess.  I was forewarned by the man in Meeker, but after my jaunt through the Badlands I was up for anything.  I rode about 120 miles without seeing a gas station, so I am fortunate that I filled up at the last station I had seen, even though it had only been 40 miles.  I stopped or a picnic lunch right on the border of Colorado and Wyoming, which is also where the road turned paved again.  Had I known there was camping at Irish Canyon I may have just skipped Meeker altogether.  The rest of the ride was somewhat uneventful.  I did find out that my video camera is not broken.  Turns out it was set to night vision, so in daylight the viewfinder was whiting out.  So I am back in business and shot some video today.  It was down the dirt road, though, so it may be a bit bumpy.    
Upon arriving to Lander I tried to get a room at the NOLS (national outdoor leadership school) hostel downtown.  It is supposed to be for alumni, but I was going to try to weaserl in anyway.  The issue was moot, however, since there were no rooms at the inn.  Bummer, too, since it was $15 a night.  The town park has free camping, though, so it's back to the tent tonight.  I want to get an early start tomorrow to maximize my time in Yellowstone tomorrow.      Signing off for now.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment