Saturday, February 13, 2010

Karma is a myth August 23rd, 2009


Two more firsts
I was going to spend two days in Alaska, but I really exhausted the opportunities presented by Hyder so decided to leave after one night.  I was also going to take three days to get to Vancouver, but since the road to Vancouver was 50% the same as the road up to Alaska I decided to do it in two days instead of one.  I spent the first night in Quesnel and set of the next morning for Vancouver.  Quesnel was a somewhat seedy industrial town and I saw two fights at the bar in the few hours I was out.  Exciting times.  I got a pretty early start and was planning on making Vancouver before dinner.  I had gotten a recommendation to eat lunch at Hortstings Farm, so that was my first destination of the day.  The ride started to warm up finally and the geography changed again.  I went from the hard jagged peaks in Alaska and the Northwest to rolling hills and smaller mountains, and then entered a very arid scrub-brush-covered area.  The road followed a large river through the valley and was nice and windy and the river provided good scenery.  There were tnnels for the road carved through the mountain and it felt very alpine, except for the flora.  Horstings Farm was a must-do.  I had an absolutely terrific sandwhich on homemade bread, followed by a plum and a piece of pie.  The plum couldn't compare to the amazing ones found in Israel, and the pie was average, but the sandwich was awesome!  Also, the view was amazing.  The farm was surrounded by very fertile orchards and fields, which gave way to dry sandy hills and mountains.  It reminded me of a coffee plantation that I ate lunch at in Tanzania (The Gibb's Farm Farm).  The heat and the smell of woodsmoke added to the feel of some of the African and Central American countries of visited.  It was a bit surreal. 
I hit the road after lunch, but didn't make it far before deciding I needed a nap.  I pulled off at a recreation area to sleep on a picnic table.  I was observing some folks working on an motorhome in the parking area and ambled over to see if they needed anything.  I ended up busting out my tool kit and spending the next three or four hours climbing in and under the RV getting some belts replaced.  It turns out that they had been stranded at that parking lot for two days with no cell reception and few offers of help.  Another family was helping and providing rides to get the spare parts we needed, but several muniapl vehicles and personnel saw what was going on and nobody offered to help.    We got it all squared away and I got back on the road.......bringing me to my two new firsts:
1.) Fixed an RV
2.) Got a speeding ticket in Canada
The speeding ticket was maybe 20 miles from the RV.  Maybe if the police were serving and protecting disabled motorists instead of harrassing speed demons then everyone would have been happier.  The other family that stopped to hlep got a ticket in the same spot (I think).  Bollocks!
I also had dinner in Hope, BC, were Rambo, First Blood was filmed.  I rode across the bridge in the movie.  I also stopped and had subway for dinner.  Apparently asking for American Cheese in Canada won't get you anywhere.  Who wants cheddar on a cold cut combo from subway?  Lame!
I finally hit a divided highway, though.  Honestly, I am not like other riders who crave back roads.  I like them, and enjoy them, but I also love doing 80 and passing everything in sight.  I was doing an admirable job of that until the highway went back to two lanes due to contruction, and then the city traffic hit.  I was a bit overwhelmed by it all.  Then putting through town the bike started to overheat.  The streets were all closed, and apperantly my hostel was on a pedestrian only street.  Then I fucking ran out of gas! In the middle of downtown Vancouver.  I miss the country already.  Luckily I had my spare can filled and found parking and got settled in for the night.  I was glad to arrive, but not glad to be here.  I can;t wait to get back to the States!
Tomorrow I will take a ferry to Vancouver ISland, and then a ferry to Seattle.  That will also keep my waiting down clearing customs at a big road border crossing. 
NOTE TO FANS:  Your comments don't show an e-mail address.  If you want a reply from me or want to interact in a private forum you will need to either leave an email address or e-mail directly at anthonyfgoldstein@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment