Saturday, February 13, 2010

Sweating in Meeker August 12th, 2009


Enjoying some internet from the public library.
I'm sitting in the public library of Meeker, CO.  I had a gorgeous, though a bit hot, ride out here today.  It was only 250 miles, so I was able to take it a little easy.  I took a detour from the highway to check out Black Canyon National Park.  I'd never heard of it before, but it was well worth the short detour.  It really got me pumped fo the Grand Canyon too.  After coming out of the mountains of Crested Butte and heading West, the climate and landscape changed drastically.  I went from cool, sunny, pine covered mountains to hot barren sandy mesas and scrub brush.  It was bordering on desert climate, but offered some great views of the mighty Colorado River.  I got to Meeker around 3:30 and dropped by the Chambe of Commerce for some camping guidelines.  It looks like I will be camping out in another city park.  For $10 a night, though, I am not going to complain.  Tomorrow I am heading up to Lander, Wyoming, and will be making a detour through Irish Canyon, which I was told was a gorgeous ride.  This is really the start of the great North-West portion of my trip.  I will be in British Columbia in five or six days.  
Another gear failure struck today.  Apparently the viewfinder of my video camera is acting up.  It was pretty hot out, and the trailer gets hot as well, so I am hoping it maybe just needs to cool off a bit.  If not, that's going in the mail too.  Luckily I have an extended warranty on it, but that won't help much for this trip. 
Thanks to everyone who is following along.  I love reading your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment